Sunday 3 November 2013

Photography

Photography

To prepare and design the photoshoot for the images in my print work, I first need to get some ideas and learn professional techniques in order to achieve professional looking shots. I am going to doing this by watching the most professional and/or researched videos I can find on YouTube and this will advise me. 

Lighting: 



From this video I have learnt some of the physics of lighting a subject, and rules two and three are especially helpful in my photoshoot because I can use these to control the intensity of the light on my subjects and how much they are lit when you change the size of the light. 


Mise En Scene: 



From this video I have learnt that positioning within the image is important, which links into the next video, and how the set and shot type is used to convey a specific atmosphere across to the audience. This has shown me that the positioning of my subjects needs to be specific, along with the background and colour scheme, in order to reflect the genre of rock music and create the tense, serious atmosphere I want to achieve. 



This video has furthered the explanation of positioning  and how the shot should be quite full so there's not empty space that's not contributing to the overall image. Furthermore, it said that it's sometimes better to take a large shot and crop it after than trying to take a shot that it perfectly framed, so I will try that. 


Posing and framing: 



This video gives an insight into how indoor photoshoots with bands works and shows many different poses and frames that are common, therefore inspiring different ways I can create a serious yet rebellious atmosphere within my images. 



A photographer I admire:

A rock band photographer whom I admire is Paul Harries. He currently holds the position of Kerrang! magazine's lead photographer and is notably one of the most successful photographers that Britain has to offer. His website is at: http://www.paulharries.com/

Some of his work that appeals to me and gives me inspiration for my own work includes: 





Harries took the shot used as the main image on the Kerrang! magazine cover and the next two shots, which were also for Kerrang! magazine. I really like the positioning of the subjects and the lighting in each of these images so for my photoshoot I will attempt to recreate this style, whilst attempting to make my shots unique to these.

What I think really makes Paul Harries unique is his ability to make every one of his images unique to each other and to other photographer's images through the positioning of the subjects, the props used, the background in relation to the colour scheme of the costume and the way he uses gradient in the background to give the image depth. Also, something that makes Harries so unique is the amount of character he captures in his images. Each band, or individual, that he photographs has their own style or look and Harries takes this and allows the subject(s) to show the audience exactly who they are within the images. This is furthered in the backgrounds of the images, for example;





3 comments:

  1. Fine. By which I mean very nice. By which I mean good work.
    I suppose if I was picky I'd like you to identify what specifically is it that makes Harries unique...then you need to adapt and apply to your own work, which will be an interesting challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mr Paige, you have done some proficient research into photographic techniques and have demonstrated excellent ICT/presentation skills. In order to raise the standard of the post do the following:
    1) Include examples of your own work you have taken to experiment with the techniques you observed on YouTube.
    2) Go into more detail concerning what you like about Harries' images (what you think makes them 'unique').

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPERB.
    Changes made.
    EXCELLENT RESEARCH AND RELATION TO OWN PRODUCT.

    ReplyDelete