Wednesday 4 December 2013

Constructing My Double Page Feature


To start creating my feature article I first opened a Photoshop document in the size A3, horizontally, and uploaded the main image I wanted to use. I made it black and white by going Image > Adjustments > Black&White because then it conforms to the colour palette of the page (black, white and red), makes the page look more serious than if it were in the original colours and it follows the conventions of rock magazines as dark colours were used in my style models. This also folows Hall's youth theory of the youth being depresseed and therefore the darker colours would allow them to relate to the article more. I then made it fit the page in a way that would allow me to layout the rest of the information in an interesting way.


Next I added the masthead using Ariel font by using a different layer for each word, altering the sizing of each word to give a quirky and original band logo by layering the different sized words against each other.


A common convention of a rock feature article is to have a quote from the band, so I added one in the space at the top that relates to the article. I used different shades of grey for each line of the quote because it makes it stand out.


I then added the page number and a small  title so that when the reader turns the page they can easily recognise the page they are looking for and what this particular article is about. I have used this grey colour because it doesn't distract the reader too much from the rest of the article but it is obviously when the reader is looking at the corner of the page when flicking through the magazine.


Next I added a white rectangular box in the top right corner, with a red rectangle on top and a red hexagon for the arrow shape, like on my front cover. This makes the information in this box seem like an exciting part of the article to read and adds to the quirkiness of the page with an interesting shape.


I then filled in the boxes with text and separated each response with a filled red rectangle to make it clear to the read which section is which and also it makes it look like less text so an indifferent reader may be more inclined to read it. The title for this box is in two different fonts with a dotted line separating them and this makes the heading look more interesting to read than it would have if it were all one big title in the same font.


Finally, I added the main body of text in two columns, which is a common convention of rock articles. I used white because this adds inversion against the dark background. Furthermore, the first letter is larger and red to make it stand out as this is also a common convention of rock articles.




After comparing this to my style models I realised that it doesn't look quite right in following all of the conventions and the black and white doesn't work as well as I thought it did, therefore I changed the image to a normal colour one and changed the colour and positioning of the quote because I thought this gave my feature a much more conventional look than before. 

This is the finished thing: 


4 comments:

  1. On all of your construction posts please do the following:
    1) Use more Photoshop/Indesign terminology e.g. which tools did you use? Why did you use them?
    2) Why do your choices represent your target audience? Use audience theory to support your points.
    3) How do your choices match genre conventions? Refer to real covers/content/double page spreads you looked at to support your points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Planning blog looking proficient/excellent. To gain more marks add more detail to certain posts e.g. on your own feature article you could include a section of researching music journalism. Furthermore, you could do more on costume and lighting choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THESE COMMENTS RELATE TO ALL YOUR PLANNING FOR PRACTICAL CONSTRUCTION:
    ALL WORK DETAILED AND COMPLETE
    EXCELLENT USE OF TIME; PLANNING AND ORGANISATION OF RESOURCES &C
    EXCELLENT RELATION TO COMPETING PRODUCT AND TARGET AUDIENCE

    ReplyDelete
  4. In short, I agree with Mr Page as your planning is complete and detailed clearly demonstrates the following:
    * There is excellent research into similar products and potential target audience.
    * There is excellent organisation of models, locations, costumes and props.
    * There is excellent work on drafting and flat plans.
    * There is an excellent level of care in presentation.
    * Time management was excellent.
    In short, well done!

    ReplyDelete