Wednesday 4 December 2013

My Photoshoots

For my print photography I had two photo shoots, using the same equipment each time but with different weather conditions outside. I used:

- Canon 6D SLR camera
- Tripod
- 50mm lens
- Four models
- Apple Mac computer 

The first photoshoot took place on a cloudy day, which gave me photographs that needed editing in brightness and contrast. Even so, I used three of my four models and asked them to stand side by side on some steps in college. I asked my models to wear clothing that conformed to the rock genre and thus they were wearing clothing that mostly conformed to the colour palette of white, black, yellow, blue and purple, and was casual. Although if I were to choose clothing for them I would have chosen clothing that made them look more like a band, with coordination in colours through them, and not hoodies because they give negative connotations that are most often associated with 'chavs', 'thugs' and other music genres, for example hip hop and rap.

I then took the photographs using the Canon 6D Camera and the lens, from different angles from below them, at the bottom of the steps. This showed the band to have power over the audience due to them seemingly like they're looking down at the reader from within the magazine.


For my second photoshoot, it was a bright day with lots of natural sun light and blue sky for a background that conforms to the colour palette of the magazine. I suggested that the three of the four models I used in this shoot wore clothing that both conformed to the rock genre and also with less connotations of other genres.

We found the correct location, which was in school and quite high up so the sky could be used as a background without being blocked by buildings and trees etc.

I then worked out the depth of field for the images on an online site (http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html) and arranged the camera, with the lens, on the tripod and set the camera at the correct depth of field settings at the correct distance for the images to be in correct focus. I took about one hundred images in total, choosing only four to use in my print.


Finally, I needed a photograph of myself for my contents page, taken in a studio, so I asked a peer to do this for me. We just used the camera with the lens and normal classroom lighting for this and managed to get a good photograph to use with one take. 


For me to set up my own institution for creating magazines I would l need the following things:

- Canon 6D SLR camera (£1400)
- Tripod (£50)
- 50mm lens (£100)
- Apple Mac computer + accessories (£1600)
- Adobe Photoshop (£300)
- Studio (£110pw)

- Lighting equipment (£400)

Therefore, it will cost me £4260 to develop my first issue of my new magazine, which would mean I need to sell a lot of issues in order to make a profit, although all the payments apart from for the studio are one-off, so making the money to fill the loss and make a profit shouldn't take too many issues. Furthermore, you can make money through advertisements throughout the magazine where businesses will pay for their adverts to be shown.

No comments:

Post a Comment